Loading...

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

Bomb factory found in Kogi + Security scare at U.S. embassy, 2 arrested

Security agencies in Kogi State yesterday made a major breakthrough as they discovered a bomb factory in Kabba, the headquarters of Kabba/Bunu Local Government Area. The factory was discovered behind the Baptist Primary School, Kabba, a few metres to the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Kabba.


Also yesterday, there was security scare at the United States (U.S.) Embassy in Abuja. Two suspects were said to have been arrested but the FCT police command denied making such arrest. Although no arrest was made as at Press time, sources said those behind the bomb factory had fled before the arrival of security operatives.

Commander, Police Anti-Bomb Squad in the state, Mr. Cletus Nzeji, who conducted newsmen round the factory, stated that security operatives had been working on a tip-off for a long time until the place was discovered yesterday afternoon.
Nzeji explained that when the door of the new building was forced open, they detected Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), the kind that are used to rob banks.

He noted that the suspects have been using the house for the production of IEDs for a very long time.
The commander stated that the ingredients and materials detected would be sent for laboratory analysis.
The Director of State Security Service (SSS), who led the combined team of military, SSS and bomb disposal unit to the place in Kabba, stated that the building will be demolished to serve as deterrent to other landlords.

The security agencies believed the owner of the house was a member of a suspected gang.
Found in the house were materials for producing IEDs, which include; powdery substance, sealed cans, wires, several pull-over jackets, batteries, airconditioner coolers, sawblades and ropes.
Meanwhile, the U.S. Embassy said yesterday that it believed that there were shots fired in the vicinity of its embassy.
The embassy, in a statement signed by the Public Affairs Section said: “We believe there were shots fired in the vicinity of the US Embassy.

“The Nigerian authorities have two individuals in custody. We refer you to the Nigerian police for further information.”
However, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police command’s spokesman, Jimoh Moshood, denied knowledge of the gunshot within the vicinity of the embassy.
He told Daily Sun that the command sent some officers to the venue but said that nothing of such happened.
Similarly, when contacted, the Force Public Relations Officer, Olusola Amore, a Deputy Commissioner of Police, also denied knowledge of such incident.

Recall that the embassy had earlier alerted security agencies of alleged planned attack by the Islamist sect, Boko Haram.
This is not the first time the embassy would raise security alert in the country.
Some months ago, it issued a statement, warning American citizens to stay away from three prime hotels in Abuja.
Shortly after that, they also warned of three vehicles loaded with bombs by the Boko Haram to be detonated in Abuja.
In the two instances, both the police and the National Security Adviser (NSA), Gen Owoye Azazi, dismissed the claims, urging Nigerians to go about their normal duties.
culled from sunnewsonline.com
story by  EMMANUEL ADEYEMI, Lokoja, AIDOGHIE PAULINUS, Abuja

No comments:

Post a Comment