Loading...

Saturday, 14 April 2012

HORRIBLE! ‘I WATCHED FROM HIDEOUT AS GUNMEN KILLED MY FATHER'

Kaduna Polytechnic main gate
Unknown to the unknown gunmen who killed a Kaduna Polytechnic lecturer, they were actually being watched by one of the lecturer’s sons as they were carrying out the murder.

The killing of a lecturer with the Department of Languages in Kaduna Polytechnic, Muhammad Abdulsalam Abubakar by unknown gunmen at the late hours of penultimate Sunday in Rigasa suburb of Kaduna was said to have been in error.
Weekly Trust gathered that earlier before the murder of the lecturer, one Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Salisu Ahmed, who also lives in Rigasa, was gunned down right inside his seating room on his Danmadami Street residence shortly after he came back from work the same day.
Meanwhile, there were speculations by people in the neighbourhood and at his work place that the lecturer was not the target of the killers but a Divisional Police Officer (DPO) who shares boundary and uses the same kind of  Toyota Camry with the lecturer. There were also speculations that the killers of the policeman might also be the killers of the lecturer.
Muhammad, according to findings, was killed at about 8.55pm in his residence at Karshen Kolta in Rigasa. It was also gathered that the lecturer was shot three times on his neck and was immediately rushed to the Shehu Kangiwa Medical Centre in Kaduna Polytechnic.
The late lecturer’s son, Mohammed Bello, who witnessed the incident from a hideout, said the killers came around 8pm. “I saw them standing by the gate while my father was coming in with his car. Immediately my father drove into the compound, one of them followed him and I saw him raising his cloth and bringing out a gun. So I immediately hid behind the door to avoid being seen.”
“He quickly entered, my father was still in the car and when he asked him, who he wanted to see, he shot him.  And when my father asked what he has done to him, he shot him the second time; then I shouted and ran from where I was hiding. He shot the third time and ran out to join his colleague who was waiting on a Jincheng motorcycle and they fled,” he narrated.
He said while the operation lasted, the whole place was in darkness   but he was able to see the proceeding with the aid of light from the head lamp of his late father’s car.
“I feel so bad about the development.  It was a great loss to me and family, because his death has created a vacuum that only God can fill. We leave everything to God,” he said.
One of the residents of the area, who prefers anonymity, said the lecturer must have been mistaken for the DPO who also resides in the area. “Maybe they don’t know the actual apartment of the DPO coupled with the fact that both of them use the same kind of car and they have both stayed together in the barracks before,” he explained.
An old man, who sells very close to the deceased’s house, said he saw when the  killers drove away on bike, adding that   the death of the lecturer was a great loss to the entire people of the area. “He took me as a father and   confides in   and   assists me a lot; many times he gives me money,” he said.
On the issue of mistaken identity, he said only God knows the truth and that the killers passed the DPO’s house to kill the lecturer. On whether there was any connection between the death of the lecturer and the ASP, he said he cannot really tell but that he has never seen the ASP visiting the lecturer.
He confirmed that both the lecturer and the DPO use the same model of car but different colours. He said however that the DPO changed his car about three months back. “In fact, he has used two   kinds of cars after the Camry. The DPO is not the DPO of Rigasa but that of either Soba or Maigana, he only comes home in Rigasa once in two weeks or thereabout,” he said.
The elder brother to the late lecturer, who is also the immediate past registrar of Kaduna Polytechnic, Mr. Mamoon Abdulsalam Abubakar said   there is no connection between the death of the ASP and his brother, noting that there was no relationship between his brother and the police officer.
Also the late lecturer’s younger brother, Ibrahim Abdulsalam Abubakar who is also an administrative officer with the Kaduna Polytechnic described the death of his brother as a shock and a great loss to the family and the polytechnic, noting that he was very friendly with his students. He also disclosed that the deceased was about 54years old and he left behind one wife and three children.
“He just returned from London where he went for further studies when he was killed,” he added.
A boy who lives with the ASP, Abdullahi said that the gunmen came in while they were in the sitting room. “One of them came inside the house, kicked me on my left leg and said “you are under arrest”. When I rose up, I saw him raising two guns. I fainted when I recovered some minutes later,  I heard three gun shots from far. When I rushed out, I saw him on the ground with blood all around him. His body was cold when I touched him. We then rushed to the police station where we reported the matter, he explained.”
The ASP’s son, Yusuf Salisu Ahmed also confirmed his father’s death, saying “one of the boys in the house came to tell me that there was someone outside who wanted to see my father. So I entered the room; shortly after I heard gunshots but I thought it was from outside. Then I heard my step mum shouting and asking me to come and see.  When I entered the parlour, he has already been shot and     vomiting blood,” he narrated.
The ASP’s son said his father   has just seven years left to retire from the services of the Nigerian Police but unfortunately did not live to see the day.
One of the two wives of the ASP, Firdausi Salisu told Weekly Trust that the incident happened at about 7.30pm that fateful day when she was preparing juice for sale. “Suddenly two men entered the house, one stood by the door while the other wearing white sweater entered with two guns. When my husband saw them, he started praying. The one with the guns then shot him twice and they ran away.”
Both the lecturer and the ASP had since been buried according to Islamic rites.
Kaduna State Police Commissioner, Abubakar J. Mohammed who   confirmed the incidents,   described the killings as   “gruesome murders”. He said investigations into the crimes are ongoing.
 Written by Christiana T. Alabi, Kaduna
FOR WEEKLYTRUST.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment